Monday, April 25, 2011

Paleo Recipe: Pork Carnitas

Since I am a HUGE fan of easy meals, this one scores high on my I Would Make This Again scale.  It's super easy and tastes great!  I let it cook all night and woke up to a house that smelled great!  I shredded the pork as I got ready for work and put some in a bowl to take to work.  I plan on eating it over shredded lettuce with avocado and salsa!

Recipe can be found here.



What You'll Need:
  • few slices of bacon chopped
  • pork shoulder
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2- whole can of chipotle peppers (depending on your heat preferences)
  • 1 stick of cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cans of chicken stock or water (about 28oz)


 Here is what you do:
First, cook the bacon.  Cut it up in to small pieces and if possible cook it in a deep enough pan that you can use for browning the pork shoulder as well.  Once the bacon is cooked remove from the pan (keeping the bacon fat).  Turn up the heat and brown the pork shoulder on all sides (should only take a few minutes).  Once browned, put everything in the crock pot including the bacon (I didn't add the bacon fat).  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Once done, shred the meat and put back in the liquid until ready to serve.  Simple as that!

No comments:

Post a Comment