Thursday, February 10, 2011

Odds and ends

I have been slacking on my blog and I'm going to start off with a confession.  A co-worker brought in homemade sugar cookies, my all time FAVORITE cookie and my weakness (aside from frozen yogurt).  He brought them in and I stared at them and said no thanks, win!  However I kept thinking about them, and thinking about them (yes it's only 10:30 and he brought them in at 8:30 but who's counting).  I went and filled up my water bottle and started chugging but alas, the sugar cookies won.  I only ate one and it was amazing, so totally worth it.  However now I think I need to go climb the stairs a few times to help myself feel better about it.

Other odds and not really ends.  I recently let it slip that I follow 4, count them 4, blogs written from the perspective of a dog.  All of them are BADRAP rescue pit bulls and I often laugh out loud to them.  Judge me, I don't care!

Also odd, I was recently caught by a gas attendant smelling the engine of the truck.  Background, the truck started acting up again and when I pulled up to the gym last week the engine smelled really bad, like something was burning.  We took it in but they couldn't figure out what was wrong.  It hasn't been acting up and I was on my way down to Salem on Sunday.  I stopped in Wilsonville to get gas and went inside to get something to drink.  As I walked out I thought to myself, I should check to make sure the truck is okay before getting on I5.  While I realize that simply smelling the engine really isn't going to tell me much, it seemed like a good idea.  So I walk to the front of the truck and lean in to get a good smell.  Just as I am doing this the gas attendant walks around to give me my receipt.  He just stared and said "Um...here's your receipt".  I could have explained but instead gave an awkward silent pause, grabbed the receipt and said thanks.  It was such an amazingly awkward story and I can't believe I forgot to share it until now.

On the workout/diet front I've been holding steady this week.  Which doesn't surprise me since I started off Monday on a bad note and have been nursing sore elbows for the past two days.  I took yesterday off and am planning on hitting the gym hard today.  Honestly my elbows are still bothering me a little bit but I am going to try my best to suck it up and push through it today since I will be traveling next week.

Matt made a statement last night that if I can come back from Atlanta without having gained anything he would have a surprise for me.  I immediately got sensitive to this when I shouldn't have.  He was acknowledging how hard it is to travel for work and maintain a good diet and exercise.  So that's my goal.  I will weigh myself Monday morning before I leave and my goal is to come back at the same weight when I weigh in Friday morning.  It is so difficult for a person like me, who craves control, to travel for work and be at the whim of people who don't really care what the eat and don't make time for exercise each day. 




My survival strategy is going to be to rely on food I can bring that doesn't need to be cooked/refrigerated so I have back up food in case the only lunch provided is pizza, which happens more often than I like!  I am going to make my own paleo kits with beef jerky, dried fruit and nuts.  I plan to go to Trader Joes and Whole Foods this weekend to find no-sugar added dried fruit, grass fed beef etc.  Then I am going to weigh, and label both 1 block snack packs and 3 block meal packs.  I'm also going to bring protein which can be mixed with water and a few other staples to help me get through this.  If I could come back and be down I will have a dance party! 

This idea is a stolen one, at least the term paleo kit.  Here is the store bought version, which would be nice to have on hand for days when I can't plan ahead:

I'm also going to try to go here and get in a Crossfit workout while I'm gone.  I don't really know the Atlanta area very well, so I'm not sure if is is close enough, but I'm hoping it works out and I can get a workout in while I'm away.  I can certainly workout on my own, but its so much better to work out with others around!

That's all for today.  Have a happy and healthy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment