Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fitness musings

There are a few people in my Facebook world that baffle me.  Well there used to be more but we're no longer 'friends' haha.  Anyways, I love when I find something that pushes me to get off the couch, step away from the wine and dark chocolate and ice cream and pizza and well you get the point, and get moving and get healthy.  I've tried it all, since moving to the metro area I have worked out at Bally's (took a few classes, worked with a personal trainer), worked out at the YMCA (took 1 cycle class...mainly worked out on my own), tried Snap Fitness for awhile then joined 24 Hour Fitness.  At 24 I took a lot of classes, did a bootcamp, worked out with a personal trainer, even taught cycle classes for awhile.  I worked out at the Elite Kettlebell Gym (Spinach) and Team Quest where I did fit classes.  I now am at Crossfit Absolute. 

My point is I've tried a lot of gyms and fitness programs, not to mention playing indoor soccer, running 5ks, 10k's and half marathons.  I really like being active and I've NEVER judged anyone for the activities they choose to keep themselves active and healthy.  Sure I don't have an interest in Zumba, but that's because I've tried it and lets face it, I'm more of a running man type of dancer and less of a shake your hips in a latin way kind of dancer.  But to each their own, I'd rather people find something they enjoy and stick to it than do nothing at all!

So to my point, I've noticed over the past 2 years as I've bounced around from one gym to another that there is a group of fitness professionals out there who love to bash on the activities and fitness programs that others chose to participate in.  Not everyone I've come in contact with, but a smaller sub-group who thinks their way is the best way and are often vocal about it (this is no reflection of the current fitness professional(s) I see at my Crossfit gym, just to clarify).  To me, a fitness professional should encourage people to be active and support everyone in their achievements rather than make fun of certain styles of working out and/or certain gyms. 

Yes I am obsessed with Crossfit, why?  Because I've found something that pushes me to be a better me.  I've found something that fuels my inter competitive side.  I have FINALLY found something that I look forward to doing every single day.  I never skip a CF workout because I don't feel like going.  I wake up early in the morning if my evening is packed and when I travel I find CF gyms that will let me drop in.  Crossfit has given me that extra motivation and dedication I needed to push myself beyond my limits and I really enjoy it.  HOWEVER, I know that Crossfit is not for everyone, just like body building, marathon running, fitness competitions, Olympic lifting, tri's, rock climbing, dancing, swimming, MMA (I could go on but I wont) is not for everyone. 

I fully encourage everyone to find something that makes you feel good about yourself.  Find something you enjoy doing that keeps you fit and feeling fabulous (or helps you get to that place).  I would never make fun of what others choose to do, even it your bought and wear the shape-up shoes and own a shake weight. 

Okay that last part was a lie, I will make fun of you if you admit to owning and seriously using a shake weight, but I think that's fair.  Anyways, at the end of the day, something is better than nothing at all.  So go get active and feel proud doing what makes you happy.  And if your fitness choices don't fulfill you and make you feel like a better you when you're done, if you dread working out each day I challenge you to find something you won't dread.  Find something you will look forward to doing each day, that's the only way you'll stick with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment