Thursday, August 4, 2011

Whole 30 - Day 4

Although I was nervous going in to this challenge I honestly wasn't that scared even though I acted like it.  In fact I was excited because I wanted to feel great I wanted to see the results I have long been waiting for (hoping to see an ab muscle haha!).  My biggest challenge as I've shared each day is not stepping on the scale.  My way of knowing I've done well with my diet and exercise is to step on the scale and see a rewarding number.  I've been stepping on the scale each morning for several years now.  I step on it when I know it's going to be bad as a way to remind myself to do better.  I step on it when it's going to be good and I step on it every where in between.  I am feeling good at day 4, I feel like I've lost some of the bloat in my stomach and my energy levels seem great.  This just doesn't seem like enough though, I REALLY want to step on the scale to see if I've lost weight. 

However, I won't.  I'm already learning that one of the lessons I'll take away from this challenge is learning to tune in to what is good for my body not by what the scale says but by how my body feels and what I'm able to do with it. 

Now on to food.  My favorite go to lunch is a taco salad!  It's so tasty and SOOO easy to make!  I cook up some ground beef and spice it up.  I use cumin, chili powder and onion powder.  I don't measure, just shake and pour on, the more the better!  Once the beef is cooked I add a can of diced tomatoes and some clean salsa from Trader Joes.  For the salad I cut some green leaf lettuce and add in some cut up bell peppers.  For the dressing I make some clean guacamole.  That's it!  Takes as long as it takes for the meat to cook!

Breakfast's typically include sweet potato and eggs in a nice scramble.  I might add some ground pork as well if I have any.  Nice and filling and replaces my fruit with a more nutrient dense carb that doesn't spike my blood sugar early in the morning.  Dinner always remains the challenge because I am tired and beat when I get home from the gym.  However last night we went to Red Robin and had a Whole 30 approved meal.  Plain natural burger with avocado slices, lettuce wrap, onion and sliced melon.  It was fast and make us not hungry anymore, which is the key!

We had our first Whole 30 'dessert' last night thanks to some inspiration from Jean!  We mixed frozen (fresh picked in Oregon) raspberries, blueberries, canned coconut milk and a little water in the blender for a frozen treat.  After working out in the heat all I crave is something cold and this hit the spot!

Having a group that is doing this with us makes it so much easier.  I love getting ideas from others and I love having a group that is constantly supporting each other.  Go Crossfit Lake Oswego Whole 30 participants!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment