Sunday, May 22, 2011

Paleo BBQ Sauce (for the pulled pork!)

I've been looking around for paleo BBQ sauce recipes that tastes like BBQ sauce.  There is SO much sugar in conventional BBQ sauce and this one seems to be pretty close.

To start with, I made up a batch of Paleo Ketchup (recipe found here)
1 small can (384 mL/12 oz) of plain, sugar-free tomato sauce
1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
a pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool and transfer to container and then into fridge.
 This recipe omits the sugar/artificial sweetener. Also, this does not last as long as store bought (no preservatives) so its good for a few weeks

I then added (and doubled) the ingredients below to the sauce pan to make the BBQ sauce.  I ended up adding 5 packets of Truvia to add a little sweetness to it, can't wait to eat it with my pulled pork!


Spicy Paleo BBQ Sauce (recipe found here)

-1 c paleo ketchup (As I mentioned above, I used the whole recipe which was about 2 cups so I doubled everything below)

-4 tsp Dijon mustard

-4 tsp apple cider vinegar

-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

-2 tsp liquid smoke

-1 tsp cayenne pepper (or less, depending on your taste)

-1/2 tsp mustard powder

-1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix everything well. I imagine that doing this over low heat would allow for some nice flavor infusion, but I mixed it cold and it tasted pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment